Monday 29 August 2016

Let's Talk about Aunt Flo

It sounds pretty gross to the modern ear but until fairly recently this was how all women dealt with their period. Thankfully the modern era has improved this area as well and there are many benefits to swapping to reusables. Many women report these benefits to be:

  • Shorter periods
  • Less pain
  • Less PMT/PMS
  • No or less smell
  • Cheaper
  • "cleaner"
  • Less irritating
  • Cloth Sanitary Towels/pads
  • Cups
  • Sea Sponges
and probably more than this blogger knows of.

Not all women get all of these benefits but, anecdotally, it seems many do.
Options for reusable sanitation can be as simple or as complicated, cheap or expensive as you like. Products include:

Like many it was cloth nappies that turned me onto other cloth products. I had my child in 2014 and decided to cloth nappy for both economic and environmental reasons - we were losing a second income and the cost savings just made sense. While pregnant I had the inevitable leaks while coughing, sneezing etc and I took to wearing panty liners. Hating the cost of these slim items I figured there must be a better way and asked in Ravelry.com, a knitting forum, I was pointed towards Earthwise Girls and promptly purchased a handful of liners. This was life changing, they were actually prettier than the pants I put them in and so I started looking further afield.

As a novice seamstress I decided to make my own and 3 years later I'm still using them. The pattern I used is from Amy Nix, who also has some fantastic youtube videos that show you, step by step, how to make them. Lunawolf  is also very popular but most facebook groups have free templates to use.
As you can imagine there is a facebook group for both making and buying pads so I'm going to post a few links below:

Facebook Groups:
Articles
DIY Sources
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment